Community Development Director
The Community Development Director is a full-time leadership and professional position which oversees the Village of Pleasant Prairie’s Community Development Department and serves as the Planning, Zoning and Floodplain Administrator. As a key member of the leadership team, this position reports directly to the Village Administrator and directs all land use, economic development planning, and entitlement development initiatives. A creative problem solving approach and the ability to establish collaborative working relationships with staff, elected officials, government agencies, service and community organizations, private businesses, and the general public is key for this position.
- Oversees the recruitment, supervision, evaluation, and career development for all Community Development Department staff.
- Prepares, or assists, with the preparation, submission, and reporting for annual operating budgets and five-year capital improvement plans for the Community Development Department.
- Develops and recommends Village-wide and Department-wide goals, objectives, policies, and procedures as it pertains to land use, planning, zoning, floodplain management, and economic development activities.
- Oversees the development and implementation of long-term plans and objectives focused on achieving the Village’s mission.
- Performs planning, land use, and zoning services as set forth in Village ordinances and Wisconsin Statutes.
- Develops and presents comprehensive plans for utilization of land and physical structures of the Village.
- Prepares and manages grant applications for local, state, federal, and other aids applicable to the Community Development Department.
- Ensures Village Adminstration, Board and Village Plan Commission are informed on strategies and solutions in various development projects and construction progress, along with trends, events, or emerging issues of significance to the Village’s success.
- Undertakes economic development activities that relate to attracting and retaining companies in the Village by working closely with the Kenosha Area Business Alliance (KABA), Milwaukee 7 Partnership for Economic Development (MKE7), and Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC); including preparing and administering Transportation Economic Assistance (TEA) grants; and retaining, marketing, and entitling of industrial, commercial, and residential developments.
- Updates and implements Village Neighborhood Plan updates and presents recommendations for land use, transportation, bike and pedestrian plans and park planning projects.
- Completes reviews and coordinates activities of transportation impact analysis reports and infrastructure plans with Village Engineering Department.
- Researches, evaluates, and prepares development reviews for site and operational plans, comprehensive plan, zoning map and text amendments, variance applications and all other entitlement reviews.
- Oversees all code enforcement inspection and reporting and violation follow-up activities.
- Prepares draft development agreements, memorandums of agreement, declaration of restrictions, covenants, and easements.
- Conducts meetings with developers, brokers and residents regarding recommendations and evaluations of Neighborhood Plans, Preliminary and Final Plats, Certified Survey Maps, Traffic Impact Analysis Reports and drafts corresponding dedication and easement language for all referenced documents.
- Prepares staff memorandums and makes presentations before various boards and commissions of the Village. Attends Village Board, Plan Commission, Board of Appeals and public meetings as required.
- Works in coordination with all internal departments to reach overall strategic objectives of the Village.
- Effectively communicates, resolves issues, and establishes positive working relationships with Village officials, employees, and the public.
- Leads by example and enforces all Village policies and procedures, and Village codes and ordinances.
- Performs other duties and special assignments as directed within the scope of the Community Development Department.
- Requires frequent public interaction and the ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Primarily works in an office environment with noise level quiet to moderate.
- Occassional outdoor work may be required in the inspection of various land use developments, construction sites or public facilities and with potential exposure to adverse weather conditions.
- Frequent operation of a computer, phone, and other office equipment.
Requirements - educational, certifications and experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, Geography, Economics or related field; Master’s degree is preferred.
- Certified Planner (AICP) or Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) highly desired.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible related experience.
- 5+ years of professional managerial experience involving budgetary, program development, planning, and supervisory responsibilities.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, GIS software, and other programs necessary to efficiently perform job duties.
- Strong interpersonal, technical management, customer service, business, writing, and leadership skills.
- Other combinations of education, training, and/or experience which can be demonstrated to result in the possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the duties of this position will also be considered.
Village of Pleasant Prairie is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Business Location : Village of Pleasant Prairie
Application Link : https://selfservice.pleasantprairiewi.gov/ess/EmploymentOpportunities/JobDetail.aspx?req=10567110&sreq=6&form=GEN3&desc=COMMUNITY%20DEVELOPMENT%20-%20COMMUNITY%20DEVELOPMENT%20DIRECTOR
Hourly Pay/Salary Range : $104,800 - $131,000