- Creates recreation plans, conducts new client assessments, provides compassionate direct-care, and prepares accurate progress notes for clients enrolled in Therapeutic Recreation programming.
- Coaches, mentors, and provides daily supervision and direction to support staff.
- Attends and/or leads quarterly review sessions with Therapeutic Recreation team, case managers, and/or client parents or guardians.
- Completes session program evaluations and provides recommendations for future program changes.
- Researches, recommends, and implements new program ideas on a quarterly basis.
- Plans, implements, and leads various special events, staff meetings, and training, including, but not limited to, Behavior Management, Disability Rights, Mandated Reporter, and Diversity in the Workplace.
- Maintains confidentiality of client information at all times.
- Actively supports and promotes a safe work environment and safe programs through adherence to all safety policies.
- Assists with annual budget process by gathering and inputting Therapeutic Recreation program statistics.
- Supports with updating the web page and RecPlex program guide with new or changing program offerings.
- Performs regular checks of all program equipment and supplies for quality and safety, while reporting immediately any concerns about equipment, or recommendations for repair or replacement, to immediate supervisor.
- Utilizes Childcare Manager for composing and submitting class rosters and weekly head counts to the billing department monthly.
- Drives RecPlex vehicles and/or vans to transport clients or for other business usage.
- Utilizes gait belts, lifts, or staff assistance whenever possible to reduce injury exposures when transferring, moving, or lifting clients.
- Addresses unsafe client behaviors by approaching, removing the audience, coaching / calming the client, and on rare occasions, safely restrains the client when behaviors put themselves or others’ safety at risk.
- Effectively communicates with client parent or guardian for more severe behavior concerns.
- Completes incident / accident report forms and promptly forwards them to the appropriate representative.
- Participates in the Manager on Duty rotational schedule and supports RecPlex guests with a broad range of needs.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships, promotes teamwork, and supports the overall goals and vision of the Therapeutic Recreation Department.
- Adheres to all Village and Department rules, regulations, policies, standard operating procedures, and guidelines.
- Performs other duties and special assignments as directed within the scope of the Therapeutic Recreation Department.
- Requires frequent public interaction and the ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Work is primarily performed in an indoor recreation facility, but exposure to adverse outdoor conditions may occasionally occur during client field trips or outdoor events.
- Occasionally requires the ability to physically restrain children or adults in the event a client’s behaviors are a risk to themselves or others.
- Requires frequent standing, walking, sitting, and movement about the RecPlex facility, Village locations, and office spaces.
- Requires occasional pushing, pulling, stooping, crouching, kneeling, climbing, lifting, and carrying a range of weight up to 50 pounds.
Requirements - educational, certifications and experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Therapeutic Recreation OR in a related field; and a completed Therapeutic Recreation Certificate or eighteen (18) semester credit hours of Therapeutic Recreation coursework.
- Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) preferred or ability to obtain within six (6) months of hire.
- Experience or familiarity with the needs and care requirements of those with special needs due to age or other cognitive or physical disability.
- A valid Driver’s license.
- Ability to obtain Basic First Aid & CPR/AED certification within three (3) months of hire.
- A combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities, will be considered.
Village of Pleasant Prairie is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Business Location : Village of Pleasant Prairie
Application Link : https://selfservice.pleasantprairiewi.gov/ess/EmploymentOpportunities/JobDetail.aspx?req=65555216&sreq=12&form=GEN1&desc=RECPLEX%20-%20RECREATION%20THERAPIST
Hourly Pay/Salary Range : $21.15/hr. - $26.44/hr.